All businesses can benefit from cleaning services.
From manufacturing facilities to business buildings, the benefits of commercial cleaning services are endless.
Keeping your building clean can increase the building’s lifespan, motivate your staff to be more productive, and impress your patrons who visit.
But not all businesses have the same needs.
Knowing which cleaning service will benefit your business and building most can be challenging to figure out. A small office of five may not need nearly as much cleaning as a hospital or doctor’s office. Many cleaning companies offer a wide variety of services to benefit different types of buildings.
It is important to know all the possible services available in order to come up with a plan that works for you.
Different Types of Scheduled Cleaning
The first factor in determining what cleaning services to get is what level of cleaning engagement you’re looking for.
Recurring cleaning is when you get cleaning regularly — whether on a weekly, monthly, or semi-annual basis.
The purpose of recurring cleaning is to constantly keep an office or building in the best working order. The worst thing you can do as a business owner or facility manager is allow your building to fall out of shape to the point where deep cleaning is necessary.
Typical recurring cleaning services include:
- Restroom cleaning
- Cleaning of employee break rooms or kitchens
- Sweeping and mopping of hard surface floors
- Vacuuming of the carpet
- Emptying trash
Deep cleaning is usually a one-off project that includes more cleaning services than your typical recurring cleaning. Deep cleaning is sorted into three categories:
- Spring cleaning: This is a deep clean done once or twice a year, similar to the way homeowners spring clean at the start of a new season.
- Move-in/move-out cleaning: It’s a good idea to do a deep cleaning when moving into a new building or office. This type of deep cleaning includes more than regular cleaning. Cleaners will take careful consideration to clean up dirt tracked in by movers, minor repairs to walls or baseboards, and floor refinishing.
- Pre/post event cleaning: Hosting an event will inevitably bring in more dirt and grime than your usual building traffic. Similar to move-out cleaning, a post-event will focus on dirt or grime brought in during the event.
Some types of services included in deep cleaning are:
- Power washing
- Tile and grout cleaning
- Carpet cleaning
- Upholstery cleaning
- Graffiti removal
- HVAC duct cleaning
- Chimney sweeping
Types of Cleaning Services Explained
Knowing all the types of cleaning services offered by cleaning companies can be overwhelming. Here are standard industry terms and definitions.
- Green cleaning: includes using eco-friendly products and methods like using biodegradable paper towels, reusable cloths, and non-toxic chemicals.
- Carpet cleaning: most carpet cleaning services include stain and odor removal, carpet repair, and steam cleaning.
- Window and glass cleaning: keeping your interior and exterior windows and mirrors free of finger smudges will leave a lasting impression on your tenants, employees, and visitors.
- Sanitization: once only popular for medical facilities, sanitizing is now necessary for most buildings due to the COVID epidemic.
- Ceiling and wall cleaning: this includes a scrub-down of your walls and ceilings to remove oil, dirt, scuffs, and other debris.
- Blind/Curtain cleaning: whether wooden or aluminum, blinds and curtains attract dirt over time and specialty cleaning may be needed.
- Upholstery cleaning: this includes cleaning fabric on furniture like armchairs and couches.
- Chimney sweeping/cleaning: when soot builds up in chimneys, it becomes a fire hazard. A chimney sweep should be done at least once a year for safety and to pass building inspections.
- HVAC and duct cleaning: clean air ducts improve air quality, help equipment last longer, and save money on energy bills.
- Pressure washing: a heavy-duty way to clean surfaces or help with paint restoration, removal, or maintenance.
- Laundry services: relevant for places like gyms or spas that provide towels, or restaurants that use tablecloths or reusable napkins.
- Disaster cleaning or restoration: this is a specialized service provided by cleaners who have expertise in smoke, water, and fire damage.
- Restroom cleaning: a necessary service for any building. Restroom cleaning includes washing mirrors, sinks, floors, and toilets to provide a satisfactory experience for everyone who enters.
- Vacuuming and dusting: these are the most common services requested for businesses buildings and offices.
- Trash removal: a service every building or office needs. You can schedule this to be completed every day, once a week — however often you need it for your facility.
Figure Out What Cleaning Services Are Right for You
Every small- and medium-sized business can benefit from hiring a commercial cleaning company.
The services you can acquire from a commercial cleaning company seem endless. They can help you with everything from dusting and emptying trash to deep cleaning carpets and vacuuming upholstery.
Before hiring a commercial cleaning company, figure out what type of service you’ll require.
When you have that figured out, make sure the cleaning company you’re considering offers those services.
There are many commercial cleaning services to choose from that offer a range of prices, so finding one that works within your budget should be easy.